Celsion is conducting a phase III study in which 600 patients with hepatocellular carcinoma, also known as primary liver cancer, are being treated with Thermodox plus RFA or RFA alone. The primary endpoint of the study is to determine if the addition of Thermodox to RFA can significantly delay the re-growth of liver tumors compared to treatment with RFA alone.
RFA is a procedure often used by doctors to ablate, or remove, relatively small tumors from the liver that can't otherwise be excised surgically. While RFA can be curative, liver cancer can and does recur because some cancer cells remain in the surrounding tissue and start growing again. Celsion believes the addition of Thermodox to RFA will kill enough of the cancer cells in the liver adjacent to the tumor to prevent or delay the return of the cancer.
The Thermodox study will fail, my "short Celsion" fund manager source predicts, because more often than not, tumors grow back in distant parts of the liver away from the lesion(s) that's been ablated using RFA and Thermodox.
"Thermodox is like shooting at a rhinoceros with a pellet gun," he says.A 2008 paper published in the Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery (Ng, et al.) followed 192 primary liver cancer patients who had successful and complete tumor ablation following RFA procedures. With a median follow-up of more than two years, only 15% of patients had local tumor recurrence, meaning the cancer returned at the same spot in the liver targeted by the RFA ablation. The majority of patients (56%) experienced liver tumor regrowth in parts of the liver that were not targeted by RFA ablation. Ten percent of patients developed cancer metastases outside the liver while 18% remained recurrence-free.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV