LONDON, Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A new paper published by BNY Mellon, the global leader in investment management and investment services, in association with specialist banking consultants Rule Financial, examines the profound impact that the fundamental post-crisis regulatory reform of the OTC derivatives markets will have on all users of those instruments.
The paper, entitled ' To Clear or not to Clear…Collateral is the question', looks at what avenues are open to institutional investors who – with the advent of the Dodd-Frank Act, EMIR and other equivalent rules – face substantial business and operational challenges around executing, clearing, collateralising and reporting OTC derivatives trades.
Banks, facing comparable challenges, are investing in collateral optimisation projects that seek to maximise the efficiency with which assets are sourced from across their firm to meet collateral obligations.
While the applicability of collateral optimisation can be considered to be diminished for institutional investors because of the fragmentation of assets under management into discrete portfolios, the paper concludes that a more proactive approach to sourcing eligible assets is appropriate when it comes to limiting the cost impact of the changing collateral burden precipitated by new regulations.The paper outlines five additional steps that – assuming regulatory exposure is understood – that portfolio managers may take to achieve the goal of cost limitation:
- Review OTC derivatives strategy to establish which cleared contracts will be used.
- Model the initial margin requirement of the current or projected OTC derivatives portfolio.
- Identify all incremental costs under the new rules.
- Consider strategic and tactical changes to the investment process.
- Evaluate service offerings that can mitigate costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV