LONDON, Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A new paper published by BNY Mellon, the global leader in investment management and investment services, in association with specialist banking consultants Rule Financial, examines the profound impact that the fundamental post-crisis regulatory reform of the OTC derivatives markets will have on all users of those instruments.
The paper, entitled ' To Clear or not to Clear…Collateral is the question', looks at what avenues are open to institutional investors who – with the advent of the Dodd-Frank Act, EMIR and other equivalent rules – face substantial business and operational challenges around executing, clearing, collateralising and reporting OTC derivatives trades.
Banks, facing comparable challenges, are investing in collateral optimisation projects that seek to maximise the efficiency with which assets are sourced from across their firm to meet collateral obligations.
While the applicability of collateral optimisation can be considered to be diminished for institutional investors because of the fragmentation of assets under management into discrete portfolios, the paper concludes that a more proactive approach to sourcing eligible assets is appropriate when it comes to limiting the cost impact of the changing collateral burden precipitated by new regulations.The paper outlines five additional steps that – assuming regulatory exposure is understood – that portfolio managers may take to achieve the goal of cost limitation:
- Review OTC derivatives strategy to establish which cleared contracts will be used.
- Model the initial margin requirement of the current or projected OTC derivatives portfolio.
- Identify all incremental costs under the new rules.
- Consider strategic and tactical changes to the investment process.
- Evaluate service offerings that can mitigate costs.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts