MetLife Says It Expects Lower Net Income In 2013
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Insurer MetLife Inc. on Thursday said it expects its income to shrink in 2013, saying low interest rates will hurt its business.
MetLife estimated net income of $5.15 to $5.25 per share in 2012, including $1.12 to $1.22 per share in the fourth quarter. In 2013 the company thinks it will earn between $4.95 and $5.35 per share.
Analysts forecast $5.25 per share for MetLife in 2012 and $1.23 per share in the fourth quarter. In 2013 they expect $5.51 per share on average, according to FactSet.
"While our operating earnings per share are expected to be lower in 2013 than in 2012, they are broadly consistent with what we predicted a year ago for an extended low interest rate environment," said Chairman and CEO Steven Kandarian.On Wednesday the Federal Reserve said it plans to keep U.S. interest rates ultra-low even after unemployment falls close to a normal level. The Fed believes that could take three more years. Shares of MetLife rose 24 cents to $33.85 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV