NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Good news for iOS users - the wait is over. You can now have Google Maps back on your Apple products. Late on Wednesday Google (GOOG) released a new, downloadable, version of its Maps program for iOS devices.
Google Maps had been a pre-installed feature of iOS from the very beginning. Until Apple (AAPL) removed it a few months ago. Apple replaced it with its own maps/direction software.
Apple's new, built-in, maps had problems. Missing landmarks and the lack of turn-by-turn directions were the main problems. User complaints were instantaneous. Things got so bad, so quickly, that Apple boss Tim Cook was forced to make a very public apology.
According to Google's blog, the newly designed software is better is almost every way:"At the heart of this app is our constantly improving map of the world that includes detailed information for more than 80 million businesses and points of interest. Preview where you want to go with Street View and see inside places with Business Photos to decide on a table or see if it's better at the bar. To get you there, you've got voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation, live traffic conditions to avoid the jams and if you want to use public transportation, find information for more than one million public transit stops." To take advantage of the new Google Maps app you'll have to download it from the Apple store. It's available for the iPhone and iPod touch (4th generation) iOS 5.1 and higher, in more than 40 countries and 29 languages. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV