MEDFORD, N.Y., Dec. 13, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Chembio Diagnostics, Inc. (Nasdaq:CEMI),a leader in point-of-care diagnostic tests for infectious diseases, announces that an oral presentation and multiple poster presentations underscoring the clinical utility of the Company's Dual Path Platform ® rapid, point-of-care (POC) diagnostic tests are being presented at the 2012 HIV Diagnostics Conference being held December 12-14 at the Sheraton Atlanta Hotel.
An oral presentation entitled "Performance Evaluation of the DPP® HIV-SYPHILIS Assay: a novel, point-of-care rapid HIV 1/2, and Syphilis Treponema pallidum Antibody Combination Test" was delivered by Javan Esfandiari, Senior Vice President of Research and Development for Chembio. The presentation was made in conjunction with the "Testing for HIV/Hepatitis or HIV/Syphilis Co-infections" workshop moderated by Kelly Wroblewski, Association of Public Health Laboratories, which took place at 4:00 p.m. local time on December 12 th.
In his presentation on Wednesday, Mr. Esfandiari showcased the Company's DPP ® HIV-SYPHILIS, a single-use immunochromatographic, rapid screening test for the detection of antibodies to HIV 1/2 and Syphilis Treponema pallidum in fingerstick whole blood, venous whole blood, serum or plasma. Data have shown the test to have accurate results with documented sensitivity and specificity for both HIV 1/2 and Syphilis antibodies on one device.Mr. Esfandiari noted, "In the U.S., approximately 16% of patients, as well as 28% of men, who are infected with syphilis are also co-infected with HIV. As a result, there is growing interest in an accurate, rapid POC test that can diagnose both HIV and syphilis antibodies. Moreover, syphilis facilitates HIV transmission, making an early and accurate syphilis diagnosis key to preventing continued transmission of both diseases. DPP ® HIV-SYPHILIS requires minimal patient sample and provides actionable results in 20 minutes, allowing for results and counseling at the point-of-care. Based on the market need and the strength of these data, we intend to work with the regulatory authorities to establish a pathway to approval for this much-needed diagnostic." In addition, the Company has two posters being presented at the Conference today:
- "Performance Evaluation of a Novel HIV-1/2 Rapid Test for the Detection of HIV-1/2 Antibodies in Oral Fluid and Whole Blood," which demonstrated the diagnostic sensitivity of the DPP ® HIV assay to detect HIV infection, currently pending FDA Pre-Marketing Application approval in point estimates ranging from 99.9% to 100% for fingerstick whole-blood specimens and 98.9% to 100% for oral-fluid specimens. The diagnostic specificity of the DPP ® HIV tests was 100% in all sites for fingerstick whole-blood specimens and 99.9% to 100% for oral-fluid specimens. The sensitivity estimate on oral-fluid specimens was lower in the United States (98.9%) compared with Mozambique and Nigeria (100%) mainly due to the known HIV-positive population. Approximately 84% (731/868) in the United States and 60% (129/215) in Nigeria of the known HIV-positive population recruited were taking antiretroviral drug therapy.
- "Evaluation of the DPP® HIV-HCV-Syphilis Assay: a novel, point-of-care rapid HIV 1/2, HCV and Syphilis Treponema pallidum Antibody Combination Test," which indicated that DPP ® HIV-HCV-Syphilis assay, a rapid, qualitative multiplex POC test for the detection of antibodies to HIV 1/2, HCV and Syphilis Treponema pallidum in fingerstick whole blood, venous whole blood, serum or plasma, can be used to screen for HIV, HCV and Syphilis Treponema pallidum antibodies. Compared with the FDA-approved HIV, HCV and Syphilis Treponemal tests, all selected blood, sera and plasma samples tested with DPP HIV-HCV-Syphilis assay had 100% specificity for HIV and Syphilis Treponemal bands, and 100% and 99.4% specificity with blood and sera/plasma for HCV band, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV