Among the key findings:
- 16 percent of Californians rate the current economy as excellent or good, a five-point increase from the 11 percent who said the same one year ago.
- 70 percent of unemployed Californians are optimistic that their own future will improve, saying they think things will get better in 2013.
- Almost half (47 percent) of retirees say they are optimistic that their own situation will improve.
- Despite the pay gap, Californians are in agreement, as 66 percent of those making less than $30,000 annually and the same proportion of those making more than $100,000 express optimism that their own situation will improve in the coming year.
When asked about New Year’s financial resolutions, Californians have plans that include: saving more money (24 percent), earning more money (19 percent), and having less debt (15 percent).
“These results show that Californians are turning a corner and moving forward,” said Macieira-Kaufmann. “It’s encouraging to see optimism on the rise.”
About the SurveyThe Citi Economic pulse survey interviewed 1225 Californians from November 13 th to November 16 th, 2012. The statistical margin of sampling error is = ±2.80 percentage points for statewide results and is higher for subgroups and specific regions of the state. About the Citi Economic Pulse in California The Citi Economic Pulse in California is calculated by subtracting negative responses to each item from the positive responses for all 8 index items. The Index scale can range from +100 (if every respondent gave positive response to each of the 8 questions) to -100 (if all respondents expressed consistently negative views). Citi, the leading global financial services company, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Additional information may be found at www.citigroup.com. Additional information may be found at www.citigroup.com | Twitter: @Citi | YouTube: www.youtube.com/citi | Blog: http://new.citi.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/citi | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/citi
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV