Aricent, Contela and Mindspeed Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: MSPD) today announced that they have integrated Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) into small cell base stations. The new solution features the Mindspeed® Transcede® 3000 system-on-chip (SoC) in a Contela LTE small cell product, with fully-integrated carrier-class software from both Mindspeed and Aricent that meets 3GPP Release 9 “Home eNodeB” specifications, including support for self organizing network (SON) features.
Traditional base station products have supported LTE data services only, leaving voice to be carried by the legacy 3G network, most likely on a macrocell. According to Informa Research, 98% of carriers agree that small cells are essential to their LTE network rollout, which means that support for voice will be a critical element. VoLTE is the preferred way to carry voice calls over the all-IP LTE network, but only a few carriers have adopted it so far.
Most LTE deployments use legacy network technologies (Circuit Switched Fall Back, or CSFB) for enabling voice connectivity, which has various drawbacks, including low battery life and network inefficiencies. VoLTE voice calls can have guaranteed bandwidth and quality of service (QoS) which enables “HD voice,” using wider bandwidths and better quality codecs to delive clearer calls than traditional cellular or even landline voice services.
“We have demonstrated our leadership position in carrier-class small cells in both 3G and now LTE,” said Jang Ahn Kwon, vice president and CMO at Contela, “But this industry is built on eco-systems and we could not have done it so quickly without our partners at Mindspeed and Aricent. Operators around the world are deploying carrier-class, public-access small cells as a fundamental part of their networks, which started with HSPA and has become mainstream with LTE. We are proud to have taken a step forward with this support for native VoLTE in our products.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV