For the year-to-date period ended November 24, 2012, the Company reported net income of $67.7 million, or $0.62 per share, which included the tax benefit and reduced accrued interest resulting from the reversal of a portion of the Company’s reserve for uncertain income tax positions in the second quarter of fiscal 2013. For the first nine months of fiscal 2013, adjusted net income on a non-GAAP basis was $65.7 million, or $0.60 per share, and excludes the estimated impact of Hurricane Sandy, utilizes an estimated annual effective tax rate of 35.6%, and excludes the reversal of accrued interest referenced above (as described below under Financial Disclosure Advisory). The Company reported net income of $53.7 million, or $0.47 per share, for the same period last year. Total sales for the first nine months increased 9.1% to $1.153 billion from $1.057 billion in the year-ago period. Comparable store sales for the first nine months increased 7.3% versus a comparable store sales increase of 9.2% in the year-ago period.
Merchandise margins at the store level for the first nine months of fiscal 2013 were 60.3% compared to 59.9% in the same period last year. Merchandise margins, including the direct-to-consumer business (“Pier 1 To-You”), were 60.2% for the first nine months of this year. Store occupancy costs were $206.0 million, or 17.9% of sales, compared to $199.3 million, or 18.9% of sales, last year. Gross profit for the first nine months of fiscal 2013 was $488.1 million compared to $434.1 million in the prior period, while gross margin was 42.3% compared to 41.1% in the same period last year, an improvement of 120 basis points.
Year-to-date selling, general and administrative expenses were $367.6 million, or 31.9% of sales, compared to $342.4 million, or 32.4% of sales, in the same period of fiscal 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV