NEW YORK, Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- To continue to meet rapidly growing network demand, Verizon has expanded its 100G network in the U.S. and Europe this year, with 20,921 additional kilometers (13,000 miles) in the U.S. and 2,600 kilometers (1,616 miles) in Europe.
"Expanding 100G technology on our high-performance U.S. and European networks means Verizon is able to successfully meet traffic demand while increasing efficiency and capacity," said Kyle Malady, senior vice president of global network operations and engineering for Verizon. "Increased video traffic, LTE 4G growth and cloud usage are driving bandwidth demand, and 100G is critical to creating that rich end-user experience."
Verizon has deployed 100G on selected routes in the U.S., where traffic demand is highest, including Atlanta to Tampa, Kansas City to Dallas and Salt Lake City to Seattle, using the same routers and coherent optical transport equipment as on the company's first 100G routes deployed in 2011.
In Europe, Verizon expanded its 100G network with two new routes -- between London and Paris, and London and Frankfurt. These routes, along with the previously deployed Frankfurt-to-Paris 100G route, create a 100G ring on Verizon's production network that spans more than 2,600 kilometers.In addition to increased capacity, improved performance and scalability, 100G transport allows for consolidation of transport traffic while supporting both fixed and mobile services to create a converged core network that provides the foundation for rapid service turn-up and restoration. This high-capacity, ultra-long-haul system also helps customers, such as financial institutions, move time-sensitive information more effectively among multiple business locations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV