"Clean Diesel. Clearly Better." Campaign For Clean Diesel Cars Welcomed
"With higher and fluctuating fuel prices, Americans are seeking more fuel efficient cars," Schaeffer said. "The new U.S. federal fuel efficiency standards that will required a 54.5 mpg average by 2025 will significantly boost clean diesel auto sales because diesel cars are 20 to 40 percent more fuel efficient than gasoline versions."
Schaeffer said the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) forecasts that compared to 2012 the price of diesel fuel will decline by about 3 percent in 2013 to $3.83/gallon.
New Clean Diesels Coming To the U.S. Market
Schaeffer said a number of additional diesels will be available soon in the U.S. including:
- Audi A6, A7, A8 and Q5 TDI diesels will be available in 2013 joining the Q7 and A3 TDI to bring Audi's diesel offerings to a total of six. A TDI clean diesel A4 version is also expected in 2014 or early as 2013.
- BMW announced that the U.S. market will see a 2.0-liter four cylinder diesel and 3.0-liter inline six diesel engine in the next 12 months.
- Chrysler will introduce its new Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel in 2014, along with a new version of the discontinued Dakota pickup that will include a diesel.
- Ford will offer a new diesel Transit full-size commercial van in 2013.
- General Motors will offer a Cadillac ATS diesel and a diesel version of the Chevrolet Cruze in 2013.
- Mazda will become the only Asian car manufacturer to sell diesel cars in the U.S. when it introduces its SKYACTIV-D 2.2-liter clean diesel engine.
- The Mercedes S350 BlueTEC marks the return of the diesel-powered Mercedes-Benz S-Class to the United States in 2012. Mercedes also plans to bring a diesel in the GLK and C-class for a total of eight diesel models by 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV