NASA Astronaut Scott Kelly To Receive Magellan Award In New York
HOUSTON, Dec. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- NASA astronaut and retired U.S. Navy Capt. Scott Kelly has been selected to receive the Magellan Award by the Circumnavigators Club of New York on Dec. 14, 2012.
The award is given to individuals who have circumnavigated the globe for the purpose of making the world a better place. Kelly, along with his twin brother, former astronaut Mark Kelly, will be the 33 rd and 34 th recipients of this award. Past recipients include astronauts Neil Armstrong, Sally Ride and John Glenn.
The awards dinner and ceremony will take place at 6:30 p.m. EST at the Union League Club, 38 East 37 th Street, New York City.Kelly recently was selected by NASA and its international partners for a one-year mission aboard the International Space Station. Cosmonaut Mikhail Kornienko of the Russian Federal Space Agency will accompany Kelly on the mission to collect scientific data important to future human exploration of our solar system. The spaceflight veterans will launch aboard a Russian Soyuz spacecraft from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan in spring 2015 and return in spring 2016. Kelly is from West Orange, N.J. He has degrees from the State University of New York Maritime College and the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. He served as a pilot on space shuttle mission STS-103 in 1999, commander on STS-118 in 2007, flight engineer on Expedition 25 to the International Space Station in 2010 and commander of Expedition 26 in 2011. Kelly has logged more than 180 days in space. The Circumnavigators Club is devoted to bringing together those men and women who have circumnavigated the globe. The club's purpose is to encourage global fellowship and understanding and provides a forum for intellectual exchange. SOURCE NASA
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV