BB&T's third-quarter net interest margin (NIM) -- the difference between the average yield on loans and investments and the average cost for deposits and borrowings -- was 3.94%, declining only one basis point from the previous quarter, but company estimated that the margin would narrow ""to the mid-3.70s% range in 4Q12."
O'Connor said that "earlier this month, BBT noted 4Q's NIM was coming in slightly better than expected--at around 3.80%. However, low rates and run off of purchase accounting accretion is likely to put additional pressure on NIM in 2013/beyond."
Today's announcement by the Fed won't do anything to ease BB&T's net interest margin pressure, but the continued monetary stimulus could help the company achieve its expected loan growth of 5% to 7% in 2013.
O'Connor estimates that BB&T will earn $2.90 a share in 2013. The analyst said that "it's tempting to get more positive" on the shares because of a valuation to forward earnings estimates that is only slightly above peers, with expectations for above average loan growth, "driven by good business/geographic mix and execution." On the other hand, his firm still sees "modest downside to 2013 consensus estimates (of 2-4%) and our 2014 [estimate] of $3.00 is 6% below consensus (with [additional] downside if interest rates don't rise)."BBT data by YCharts
Interested in more on BB&T? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV