RICHMOND, Va., Dec. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion Virginia Power welcomed the news today that the U.S. Department of Energy had selected a company-led team to begin award negotiations for initial engineering, design and permitting for an offshore wind turbine demonstration facility off the coast of Virginia.
In its DOE application, Dominion proposed designing, developing, and demonstrating a grid-connected, 12-megawatt offshore wind facility consisting of two Alstom 6-megawatt turbines mounted on innovative foundations. Dominion's primary location for the demonstration project is in federal waters about 22 miles off the coast of Virginia Beach, although the ultimate site will depend on detailed investigations. Twelve megawatts would provide enough electricity for 3,000 homes at peak demand.
"Winds off the coast of Virginia hold great potential for electricity generation," said Mary C. Doswell, senior vice president-Alternative Energy Solutions. "The challenge will be to harness this energy and bring it to our customers at reasonable cost. To achieve that will take a lot of creative engineering to find innovative ways to lower costs, which is the goal of the DOE program. We have the right team in place to begin this work with the goal of being chosen ultimately to build the demonstration facility."
Others on the Dominion team are:
- Alstom Power Inc., a wind turbine manufacturer and major supplier of equipment and services to the global power generation market;
- KBR, a global engineering, construction, and services firm with experience in offshore wind;
- the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy;
- the National Renewable Energy Laboratory;
- the Virginia Tech Advanced Research Institute, representing the Virginia Coastal Energy Research Consortium;
- And Newport News Shipbuilding, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts