A Gift That 'Gives Back' To Aging Parents: Long-Term Care Insurance
KIRKLAND, Wash., Dec. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Why are some middle-aged Americans buying long-term care insurance (LTCi) for their aging parents? It's partly because Mom and Dad may need help with the tasks of daily living, but can't afford a policy to pay for it, according to Denise Gott, National Sales Manager of LTC Financial Partners, LLC (LTCFP). It's also because the kids don't want to end up paying the bills out of savings, jeopardizing their own retirement, or to disrupt their lives to tend to Mom or Dad personally.
There's a deeper motivation for the gift of LTCi, though. "The grown kids want to give back to those who gave them so much," says Gott. "This was pointed out by one of our senior specialists, Paula Taylor of Oakland, CA." According to Taylor and Gott, the grateful children express their feeling in many deeply-felt ways. For example --
- "My father put me through school, and I will take care of him now so he can spend his remaining years at home."
- "Mom taught me so much, how to play the guitar and read before other kids knew how. Dad taught me to raise and pluck chickens, shoot a gun safely, and own up to my mistakes. They never neglected me, and I'm not going to neglect them now."
- "She changed my diapers, bandaged my fingers, kissed my bruises. I'm going to make sure she's cared for too."
- "They gave me the gift of life and everything that followed. I can give them a policy."
For reasons of your own, the gift of long-term care might be worth considering whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, or another end-of-year holiday. But, "it may be an invaluable gift any time of year," says Gott. Colleagues who share this view include --
Paula Taylor (who came up with the idea) -- 510-763-5002
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV