The year-end holidays are a joyful time when we use colorful lights, shiny ornaments, and pretty gift-wrappings to make our home environment more festive. Why not go a step further this year and celebrate the season with a bright new interior paint job?
“Many of us seek to give our surroundings a special feeling at the holidays, so it’s a perfect time to spice things up by adding some color to the walls,” says Debbie Zimmer, paint and color expert at the Paint Quality Institute.
“From a psychological standpoint, any new paint color will freshen up the home interior, but if the color is bright and festive, it can do even more by actually helping to lift the spirit of family and friends who enter the space,” she says.
In keeping with the season, variations of red and green are obvious choices for interior walls, and psychologically speaking, they work beautifully at the holidays and thereafter.Red in all its iterations – from rose to burgundy to rust -- is one of the warmest colors, perfect for adding coziness to any part of the home. It also is an appetite enhancer, making red a wonderful option for dining rooms, where holiday entertaining often takes place. Green has other winning attributes: Studies have shown it to be among the most calming and relaxing colors – a welcome counterpoint to the hectic holidays. At the same time, green calls to mind many of the foods we eat, so – like red -- it’s a fine choice for kitchens and dining rooms. That’s not to say that pre-holiday painting shouldn’t be done in other hues. Today’s interior paints come in hundreds of colors, and you’ll want to apply one that you’ll be happy with when the decorations go back into storage. If you don’t have enough time to re-paint an entire room before your guests arrive, Zimmer suggests that you think about painting just one or two “accent walls” in a holiday color.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV