In that regard, I can't imagine NetApp remaining an independent company much longer. On a similar note, as the "the cloud" starts to form and businesses begin to fully embrace migration benefits, it's hard to envision a company such as Cisco (CSCO) ignoring NetApp's value and making a bid for the company. Cisco, which has been on a shopping spree of late, has enough cash to make this deal happen tomorrow.
Plus, with so much competition for big data, NetApp will have a considerable amount of value to companies that want to leverage their enterprise presence and become one-stop shops. From that standpoint, investors can't rule out a name like Oracle (ORCL) from stepping in and making a bid. After all, NetApp is "big data" and Oracle is "data analytics" - it makes too much sense.
Since reaching a recent low of $26, NetApp stock is up 25%. This means that although there are a lot of questions that need to be answered with NetApp, it seems the Street is still willing to give the company the benefit of the doubt.
With enterprise spending expected to rebound in 2013, there will be opportunities for NetApp to prove that its current valuation today is a steal. But then it might be too late, which means now is the time to buy.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @rsaintvilus This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV