Updated from 12:08 p.m. EST with Fed policy announcement and settlement prices
NEW YORK (
Gold for February delivery added $8.30 to settle at $1,717.90 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The
The Federal Open Market Committee -- the policy-making arm of the central bank -- said it would begin to purchase $45 billion of longer-term Treasury bonds per month for an open-ended period, and that it would keep rates low at least for as long as the U.S. unemployment rate remained above 6.5%. The new stimulus would replace Operation Twist, which concludes by the end of 2012.The central bank said it would maintain the monthly $40 billion open-ended, mortgage-backed security purchasing program it implemented in September. An increasing number of economists and analysts had predicted that the Fed would implement some sort of increase in monetary stimulus in the latest Federal Open Market Committee (the Fed's policy-making arm) meeting. "I think there's going to be an extension of either the Operation Twist or expanding the balance sheet to purchase long-term treasuries," said Jeb Handwerger, editor of GoldStockTrades.com. "So we think that the Fed is going to do whatever it can, including a fresh round of bond buying, to support the economic recovery."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV