Give a gift alternative. Gift cards always come in handy when you don't really know what to get someone. But even gift cards have return issues. Did you know the famously accommodating Nordstrom (JWN) won't accept gift card returns?
If you're the recipient of unwanted gift cards, sites like Cardpool.com, GiftCardRescue.com and PlasticJungle.com will buy your unwanted gift cards. They do take a cut so you don't get the full value of the original card. Some pay you back a higher rate in Amazon gift cards.
Return items in January. Retailers have long been gracious with holiday returns, accepting unwanted gifts weeks after Christmas. Today is no different with companies from Best Buy (BBY) to Walmart extending return periods into January. This also extends to several online stores including Apple (Jan. 7), Amazon (Jan. 31) and Overstock (OSTK) (Jan. 31).Also available, the ability to buy online and return in store. Pretty much stores that allow you to order online and pick up in the store (including Walmart, Macy's, Best Buy and The Container Store) also let you return in store so you don't have to hassle with shipping. Hire someone. If time is more valuable than money, hire someone from TaskRabbit to stand in line and return unwanted items. The site already is pushing its team of background-checked TaskRabbits to help with gift shopping (average cost of $57) and gift wrapping ($38). It suggests paying $12 to $20 for simple shopping services. This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV