Dec. 12, 2012
- EMC ® Smarts ® 9.1 extends EMC's virtual data center management capabilities to now include root-cause and impact analysis for all VMware vSphere® attached storage through new and enhanced integrations with VMware vCenter ™ Server and the EMC Storage Resource Management (SRM) Suite.
- New capability to provide root-cause and impact analysis for wireless networks through discovery of wireless controllers and the monitoring of wireless access points.
(NYSE: EMC) today announced significant enhancements to EMC
Smarts software, further extending EMC's leadership in managing
virtual data centers
and cloud environments. EMC Smarts 9.1 now includes root-cause and impact analysis for all VMware vSphere attached storage through new and enhanced integrations with VMware vCenter Server and the EMC SRM Suite. Smarts 9.1 software enables users to visualize and understand storage and virtual machine relationships and dependencies in both physical and virtual data centers—and is a leading solution capable of correlating VMware DRS and SDRS (Distributed Resources Scheduler and Storage Distributed Resources Scheduler) activity to overall data center management. With this latest release of Smarts, EMC is delivering another management solution supporting EMC's position as the
#1 storage choice
for VMware environments.
To view the multimedia version of this news release go to
The EMC SRM Suite is EMC's single, easily consumable monitoring and reporting package that provides performance, capacity, and configuration management for EMC and select third-party storage arrays. EMC Prosphere
is a key component of the SRM Suite. Through Smarts 9.1 integration with the SRM Suite, EMC ProSphere now provides EMC Smarts 9.1 with storage topology- and device-level information to enhance the EMC Smarts management model.
The new enhancements to Smarts enable high
and operational efficiency by eliminating management blind spots. Smarts delivers detailed insight into virtualized IT environments, from virtual machines to the underlying physical infrastructure. Smarts gives customers the ability to easily understand the fast-changing relationships and interdependencies among physical and
elements. These elements include physical, virtual, and wireless networks, virtual switches, VMware vSphere Storage and virtual machine vSphere vMotion activity, virtual machine impacts, and device and path information for all VMware vSphere attached storage.
Smarts 9.1 Technology Highlights:
- Increased Virtual Data Center Visibility— Delivers line-of-sight of virtualized IT environments, from virtual machines to the underlying physical infrastructure, so that users can understand the interdependencies—including virtual networks, virtual switches, vSphere vMotion activity, VM impacts, and all VMware vSphere attached storage.
- Comprehensive Configuration Management— Delivers ability to see all changes and deviations from approved configurations, leverage policies to ensure desired configurations automatically remain compliant, make device updates and corrections faster and more easily, and eliminate the possibility of human error creating a service-impacting problem.
- Enhanced Ability to Identify & Act— Delivers the ability to automatically identify root causes, and quickly separate symptoms from problems so users can address the appropriate issue impacting application and service delivery. Users can also determine risk conditions by seeing performance degradations and understanding dependencies—before business impact occurs. In addition, customers can manage key cloud-enabling technologies, including protocol management, MPLS, optical, multicast, and VoIP.
Announced earlier this year, VMware vCloud
Suite 5.1 is a complete and integrated
solution that integrates VMware's leading virtualization, cloud infrastructure and management portfolio—simplifying the adoption of cloud era technologies for customers. With this latest version of EMC Smarts, EMC is extending a holistic view across all IT infrastructure elements to dramatically improve availability and performance of applications and services. Smarts delivers a complete, unified view into the entire virtual data center, enabling customers to effectively visualize and understand the complex interrelationships among virtual assets, their underpinning physical elements and the applications and data sources that relate to them. While VMware is managing the virtual infrastructure, Smarts is managing the supporting "shared" physical and virtual infrastructure to provide a complete view of the physical and virtual environments.
Nadine Routhier, Vice President, NCR Telecommunications and Technology
"NCR is using EMC Smarts in its Managed IT Domain Services, providing our customers with remote monitoring and management of enterprise IT domains. Network operations is critical to this service, which monitors, identifies, and resolves problems in the IT infrastructure. With Smarts now providing management of both the physical and virtual environments—including remote restoration and updates to managed wireless devices, NCR can quickly identify the root cause of issues, and confidently provide service assurance to customers."