So far, things have not worked out so well with Johnson at the helm, and with huge drops in same store sales, including down 27% in Q3, and surprisingly bad earnings numbers, shares are down 55% since peaking in early February. Some have been calling for the company to fire Johnson, and doubts that he can turn the company around from the old-style retailer it has been for many decades, are mounting.
Now, with many calling for the company's demise, I'm getting intrigued. Expectations have gone from very high, to extremely low. Perhaps this company can't be turned around -- that's how it's being priced -- or, maybe it will take longer to make the transition from old-style big box retailer, to the more hip, "100 shops" within one store feel that Johnson is shooting for.
The company ended Q3 with $532 million in cash and just under $3 billion in debt. While the debt concerns me, the company is loaded with tangible assets, namely the 400-plus owned locations. I won't make any bold assumptions of what the real estate might be worth.While it gives the company some options, clearly success for investors here is dependent on a turnaround in the retail business. If that does happen, the real estate may be worth more.
While it's easy to fall into a "value trap," as Sears has been to date, the nature of deep value is to consider buying when everyone else has given up. While J.C. Penney has some huge challenges ahead of it, for the first time, I am at least intrigued.Not ready to pull the trigger, but intrigued. At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV