"Outsourcers and enterprises need to look at how they are working together and implement processes and tools that will lead to better outcomes," said Manery. "For example, how can they document legacy applications to address problems around knowledge transfer? Can they bring performance testing into the development cycle earlier? Using simple solutions such as these, companies can better manage their outsourcer contracts and reduce the total cost of ownership of mainframes by removing the hidden associated costs, ultimately improving the quality of service delivered to end-users."
The increasing complexity of the mainframe ecosystems outlined above is creating a greater need for existing applications to be modified, as well as creating a need for new services to be developed and integrated with existing mainframe applications. However, a significant lack of in-house legacy skills and documentation creates challenges, increasing the drive towards outsourcing and impacting quality:
- 80 percent of respondents claim difficulties with knowledge transfer is impacting on the quality of outsourced projects.
- 68 percent say their in-house teams no longer have the legacy knowledge to maintain mainframe applications while 41 percent of companies state that the lack of in-house expertise is a key motivator for outsourcing.
- 65 percent of respondents claim staff churn within outsourcers' organizations negatively impacts the quality and turnaround time of work they deliver.
*Commissioned by Compuware and conducted by independent research company Vanson Bourne, the survey was administered to 520 CIOs from large companies, covering a cross-section of vertical markets in Australia, Benelux, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, and USA.About the Compuware Mainframe Solutions Compuware's Mainframe solutions help the world's leading organizations maximize developer productivity, minimize costs and deliver better service. The Solutions are available within the Compuware Workbench, an open development environment that features an intuitive and easy-to-use graphical user interface. Workbench makes common mainframe tasks faster and simpler to perform for both experienced mainframers as well those new to the mainframe, enabling companies to develop new services faster, more efficiently and with higher quality utilizing existing resources. Follow us on:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV