"Outsourcers and enterprises need to look at how they are working together and implement processes and tools that will lead to better outcomes," said Manery. "For example, how can they document legacy applications to address problems around knowledge transfer? Can they bring performance testing into the development cycle earlier? Using simple solutions such as these, companies can better manage their outsourcer contracts and reduce the total cost of ownership of mainframes by removing the hidden associated costs, ultimately improving the quality of service delivered to end-users."
The increasing complexity of the mainframe ecosystems outlined above is creating a greater need for existing applications to be modified, as well as creating a need for new services to be developed and integrated with existing mainframe applications. However, a significant lack of in-house legacy skills and documentation creates challenges, increasing the drive towards outsourcing and impacting quality:
- 80 percent of respondents claim difficulties with knowledge transfer is impacting on the quality of outsourced projects.
- 68 percent say their in-house teams no longer have the legacy knowledge to maintain mainframe applications while 41 percent of companies state that the lack of in-house expertise is a key motivator for outsourcing.
- 65 percent of respondents claim staff churn within outsourcers' organizations negatively impacts the quality and turnaround time of work they deliver.
*Commissioned by Compuware and conducted by independent research company Vanson Bourne, the survey was administered to 520 CIOs from large companies, covering a cross-section of vertical markets in Australia, Benelux, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, and USA.About the Compuware Mainframe Solutions Compuware's Mainframe solutions help the world's leading organizations maximize developer productivity, minimize costs and deliver better service. The Solutions are available within the Compuware Workbench, an open development environment that features an intuitive and easy-to-use graphical user interface. Workbench makes common mainframe tasks faster and simpler to perform for both experienced mainframers as well those new to the mainframe, enabling companies to develop new services faster, more efficiently and with higher quality utilizing existing resources. Follow us on:
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts