UK Unemployment By Biggest Amount Since 2001
LONDON (AP) â¿¿ Official data shows that unemployment in the United Kingdom dropped to 7.8 percent in the three months to October as the number of jobless fell by its largest amount since 2001.
The Office for National Statistics says Wednesday that the fall from the previous quarter's 8 percent came as 82,000 people came off the unemployment register, which stands at 2.51 million.
The improvement came at a time Britain emerged from a nine-month recession. In the third quarter of the year, the British economy grew by a quarterly rate of 1 percent.
The agency also says that total pay growth continued to lag inflation, rising 1.8 percent compared to a year earlier. Consumer price inflation in October was 2.7 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV