By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Harley-Davidson (HOG) is trying to bust out of its current range and the bulls piled in Tuesday.
OptionMonster's real-time scanners detected the purchase of almost 5,300 December 48 calls against open interest of 571 contracts Tuesday. The first blocks priced for 30 cents, but premiums then rose as high as 93 cents as the iconic motorcycle stock climbed, which shows the kind of leverage that can be achieved with options.
Calls lock it the price where investors can buy stock, so they can make huge moves on a%age basis from a modest gain in the underlying share price. But these options will expire worthless if the stock doesn't go in the right direction quickly enough.The company's shares rose 2.06% to close at $47.62 Tuesday. They have been trapped below $48 since late June, so Tuesday's call buyers are looking for that resistance to give way by expiration at the end of next week. Total option volume was almost 10 times greater than average in the session. Calls outnumbered puts by a bullish 37-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in HOG.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV