SACRAMENTO, Calif., Dec. 11, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Aerojet, a GenCorp (NYSE:GY) company, announced that its rockets and thrusters were instrumental in today's launch of the U.S. Air Force's orbital test vehicle.
The orbital test vehicle was launched aboard a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V rocket. Eight Aerojet retro rockets also assisted with the Atlas Centaur separation from the launch vehicle. In addition, 12 Aerojet monopropellant (hydrazine) thrusters on the Atlas V Centaur upper stage provided roll, pitch and yaw control, as well as settling burns for the upper stage main engine. All Atlas launches since the late 1980s have included Aerojet monopropellant reaction control thrusters on the Centaur upper stage.
Aerojet is under contract with ULA for the reaction control thrusters and retro rockets for the Atlas V program. Aerojet's Redmond, Wash. team manufactured the Centaur upper stage reaction control thrusters for ULA. The retro rockets were designed and developed by Aerojet in Gainesville, Va. and manufactured in Camden, Ark.Aerojet is a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader providing propulsion and energetics to the space, missile defense, strategic, tactical missile and armaments areas in support of domestic and international markets. GenCorp is a leading technology-based manufacturer of aerospace and defense products and systems with a real estate segment that includes activities related to the entitlement, sale, and leasing of the company's excess real estate assets. Additional information about Aerojet and GenCorp can be obtained by visiting the companies' websites at www.Aerojet.com and at www.GenCorp.com . The Aerojet logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=12048
CONTACT: Glenn Mahone, Aerojet, 202.302.9941 Glenn.Mahone@Aerojet.com Kristin Conner, Aerojet, 916.355.2143 Kristin.Conner@Aerojet.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV