Calif. Audit: Whistleblowers ID Thousands In Waste
The auditor also found:
â¿¿ A Department of Education employee "misused state time and equipment when he posted nearly 4,900 comments on The Sacramento Bee's news website during state time" â¿¿ 195 of the 208 days he was at work during the span reviewed, according to the report. He also used state time and resources for his second job as a contractor. The report said the man's supervisor knew that he was not doing much worked and was on the Internet excessively but repeatedly failed to supervise him or report the infractions so he could be punished.
The report does not say that the employee was fired, and a spokesman for the state Department of Education, Paul Hefner, did not immediately return a call Tuesday seeking information about whether the employee is still on the payroll.
â¿¿ A former Employment Development Department staffer falsified documents for a bankrupt company to allow two of her friends to receive unemployment benefits by claiming they were laid off from a company where they never worked. The accounting technician and the recipients were later convicted of conspiracy to commit mail fraud for receiving nearly $93,000 in unemployment payments. The employee and one of her friends were sentenced to federal prison, and another was sentenced to probation. They were also ordered to repay the money.â¿¿ The California State Athletic Commission overpaid nearly $120,000 to 18 of its athletic inspectors by paying them an hourly overtime rate rather than straight-time pay for the jobs they did voluntarily in addition to their regular state jobs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV