Holiday Disasters: Homeowners' Tales of Their Worst Yuletide Nightmares
Too Much Ice
"I'm a sucker for outdoor candles -- so pretty and sparkly! But those sand-weighted paper-bag luminaries scare me. So a few years ago, when I saw directions for making ice lanterns, I had to try it out.
What a mess. In freezing weather, outdoors, you're supposed to fill clean plastic milk jugs with water, and then set in weighted cans. Of course, the outdoor faucets are turned off, so this involves slopping water in and out the back door. Once these things are frozen solid, somehow you are supposed to unwedge the cans resulting in a space for a candle, surrounded by thick walls of ice. How are you supposed to get a frozen can out of a block of ice, wearing mittens? In the cold? You can't heat it up. I tried pulling, wiggling, and smacking and what I ended up with was an ice field.
Lesson learned: water + cold = ice. In this case, fire and ice don't mix."Joanne Cleaver Don't Let This Happen to You We think Joanne has said it all: Just don't do it.
More From AOL Real Estate Christmas Storage Tips to Keep Your Holiday Stuff Organized Is Off-the-Grid Living the Future of Housing? HUD Mortgage Sale Could Help Thousands of FHA-Insured Borrowers but Unfairly Exclude Others
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV