If you align with one network, buying into Facebook's marketing developers program, described by
Social media marketing is just not worthwhile for a scaled business.
Social networking reminds me of open source, a beat I joined in 2005 when its hype was reaching a peak. What we found was that the benefits of open source were real but they mainly went to consumers of open source products, in proportion to how much they committed to helping the code base. There were no open source billionaires, which doesn't mean open source was worthless. It's just that the value went somewhere other than into a CEO's pockets.
The same will prove true with social networking. Its benefits will mainly accrue to savvy small businessmen and women who spend the time to work on their business, not just in their business, turning suspects into prospects, prospects into customers, and customers into regulars.Social is small business' friend, not Madison Avenue's. At the time of publication, the author was long GOOG, IBM and MSFT. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV