Natural Gas on Fire in 2013
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The natural-gas-from-shale revolution in energy will continue in the U.S. through 2013. Domestic and cleaner gas is replacing coal to power our electricity grids and replacing diesel to power our trucks.
And while this long-term trend of more and more natural gas use continues, the price of the fuel and their associated stocks, after a year of overproduction, remained in the doldrums, one of the weakest performers of 2012. That's going to change through 2013.
I believe we reached a generational low in 2012 in the price of natural gas and we will never again see the sub-$2/mcf price we witnessed in April. Despite a rally since bringing prices to closer to $4/mcf today, natural gas remains by far the cheapest fuel, poised to take up more and more of the burden of powering America.
That makes natural gas the most exciting sector for investment for 2013 and beyond in the energy space. I outline the case for natural gas and give some specific recommendations for investment in the video above.This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV