Other Key Findings:
- As cloud computing plays an even more important role in the management of Big Data, the number of servers worldwide is expected to grow tenfold and the amount of information managed directly by enterprise data centers will grow by a factor of 14.
- The type of data stored in the cloud will also experience a radical transformation over the next few years. By 2020, IDC predicts that 46.7% of data stored in the cloud will be related to entertainment – not enterprise data. Surveillance data, embedded and medical data, and information created by computers, phones and consumer electronics will make up the remainder.
- The amount of information stored in the digital universe about individual users exceeds the amount of data that they themselves create.
- Western Europe is currently investing the most to manage the digital universe, spending $2.49 USD per GB. The U.S. comes in second, investing $1.77 per GB, followed by China at $1.31 per GB and India at $0.87 per GB.
- As the infrastructure of the digital universe becomes ever more connected, information won't reside within the region where it is consumed, nor will it need to. By 2020, IDC estimates that nearly 40% of data will be "touched" by cloud computing (private and public), meaning that somewhere between a byte's origination and consumption, it will be stored or processed in a cloud.
Jeremy Burton, Executive Vice President, Product Operations and Marketing , EMC Corporation
"As the volume and complexity of data barraging businesses from all angles increases, IT organizations have a choice: they can either succumb to information-overload paralysis, or they can take steps to harness the tremendous potential teeming within all of those data streams. This year's study underscores the massive opportunity that exists for businesses that not only identify the potential benefits of the digital universe, but recognize the importance of navigating that universe with the right balance of technology, data security practices and IT skills. At EMC, we're uniquely positioned to help customers manage, protect and unlock game-changing value from data that translates directly into competitive advantage."
- Learn more about the Digital Universe.
- Connect with EMC via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and ECN