HOPKINTON, Mass., Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- New IDC Digital Universe study, "Big Data, Bigger Digital Shadows, and Biggest Growth in the Far East"(1) (sponsored by EMC) finds that only a tiny fraction of the world's Big Data potential is being realized, though the amount of useful data is expanding.
- IDC projects that the digital universe will reach 40 zettabytes (ZB) by 2020, an amount that exceeds previous forecasts by 5 ZBs, resulting in a 50-fold growth from the beginning of 2010.
- This year's study marks the first time IDC was able to capture where the information in the digital universe either originated or was first captured or consumed, revealing some dramatic shifts currently underway.
- The amount of data that requires protection is growing faster than the digital universe itself, yet levels of protection are not keeping pace.
- According to the study, 2.8 ZB of data will have been created and replicated in 2012.
- Machine-generated data is a key driver in the growth of the world's data – which is projected to increase 15x by 2020.
- By 2020, emerging markets will supplant the developed world as the main producer of the world's data.
- The investment in spending on IT hardware, software, services, telecommunications and staff that could be considered the "infrastructure" of the digital universe will grow by 40% between 2012 and 2020. Investment in targeted areas like storage management, security, Big Data, and cloud computing will grow considerably faster.
- Join the #DigitalUniverse and #EMC conversations on Twitter.
EMC ® Corporation (NYSE: EMC) today announced results of the EMC-sponsored IDC Digital Universe study, " Big Data, Bigger Digital Shadows, and Biggest Growth in the Far East"— which found that despite the unprecedented expansion of the digital universe due to the massive amounts of data being generated daily by people and machines, IDC estimates that only 0.5% of the world's data is being analyzed.
To view the multimedia version of this news release go to http://www.emc.com/about/news/press/2012/20121211-01.htmThe proliferation of devices such as PCs and smartphones worldwide, increased Internet access within emerging markets and the boost in data from machines such as surveillance cameras or smart meters has contributed to the doubling of the digital universe within the past two years alone -- to a mammoth 2.8 ZB. IDC projects that the digital universe will reach 40 ZB by 2020, an amount that exceeds previous forecasts by 14%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV