Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), a leading health and well-being company, and Microclinic International today announced the positive impact “Team Up 4 Health” is making in Bell County, Ky. The two-year pilot program – the first of its kind in the United States – is curbing preventable chronic diseases by helping people eat better, get more exercise and encourage one another to make healthier choices.
At the end of the program’s first year, 97 percent of the Bell County residents who completed the program have realized at least one health improvement in the following areas: reduced body mass index, sustained weight loss, decreased symptoms of diabetes and reduced blood pressure.
“I’ve learned that it’s about making small healthy choices every day,” said Willene Black, one of 265 Bell County Team Up 4 Health participants. “I’m doing this program to spend more years with my grandchildren. What’s more, I’ve been able to take this to my family and friends, and when they see changes, they become more motivated as well.”
Team Up 4 Health – launched in Bell County, Ky., in July 2011 – was developed through the microclinic program created and directed by Microclinic International; the unique health and wellness approach relies on larger community activities and microclinics. A microclinic is a group of two to six people who share access to education, technology and social support as they work together to achieve lifestyle behavior changes that prevent and manage chronic conditions. For example, participants get fitness and nutrition counseling in their microclinics, participate in healthy cooking demonstrations, and visit grocery stores with nutritionists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV