BETHESDA, Md., Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Have you ever wondered what goes into operating a global hotel empire spanning more than 70 countries, nearly 3,800 properties, 645,000 rooms and 18 brands, ranging from Marriott Hotels & Resorts to Courtyard to The Ritz-Carlton?
On Wednesday, December 12, at 9 p.m. ET/PT, Marriott International (NYSE: MAR) will be featured in a one-hour TV special: "Hotel: Behind Closed Doors at Marriott." The global hospitality leader invited CNBC into the "heart-of-the-house" over a 6-month period for a rare glimpse at the inner workings of the hotel business.Viewers will visit the New Orleans Marriott as hotel managers and employees prepare for Hurricane Isaac—a nerve wracking exercise for a team with still-fresh memories of Katrina—and again on a more "typical" day, to follow "a day in the life" of a bustling 43-story, 1,400-room hotel. Executive Chairman J.W. "Bill" Marriott, Jr., who stepped aside earlier this year as CEO after celebrating his 80th birthday, talks about leading the company that bears his name. In 40 years, Mr. Marriott transformed his father's restaurant business, which began as a single root beer stand, into the world's largest publicly traded hotel corporation. Mr. Marriott discusses his boldest decisions, from deciding to build the huge 2,000-room Marriott Marquis in what was then New York City's down-trodden Times Square, to expanding rapidly overseas, as well as his decision to endorse Arne Sorenson as his CEO successor. Marriott welcomes CNBC to India to witness the company's "shrewd" expansion in the developing world despite many obstacles. Also featured is the magic that makes The Ritz-Carlton the legendary benchmark of luxury service; and the science of hotel pricing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV