Kyocera Solar Inc., a leading supplier of reliable solar modules and renewable energy solutions, announced today that its photovoltaic (PV) solar panels are powering the new 90-kilowatt canopy that charges electric vehicles (EVs) at the world-famous San Diego Zoo. The Solar-to-EV project , in partnership with Smart City San Diego, is run by San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) and is a part of the Zoo’s commitment to environmental sustainability. All Kyocera solar panels used in this project were manufactured in the U.S.A. at the company’s San Diego facility.
The Solar-to-EV project is among the first of its kind. Its Kyocera solar panels harness the sun’s energy to charge EVs in the Zoo’s parking lot and provide renewable energy to the electrical grid, while its high-tech battery system stores solar power for future use. Ten solar canopies, designed and installed by Vista-based Independent Energy Solutions (IES), produce 90 kilowatts (kW) of peak generating capacity – enough to power 59 homes – as well as five EV charging stations, including one in a nearby ADA-accessible parking space. Using new lithium-polymer battery technology, its 100-kW energy storage system is charged by the solar canopies to offset demand on the electrical grid and recharge EVs after sunset. When the battery is full, excess energy generated from sunlight is put into the grid to improve reliability and benefit the surrounding community. The solar canopies also provide shade to approximately 50 cars in the Zoo's southeast parking area.
"Kyocera is celebrating 41 years in San Diego, and 37 years as a leader in solar energy solutions," said Steve Hill, president of Kyocera Solar, Inc. "We're proud to work with other San Diego companies that are equally committed to making sustainable energy a reality, especially at one of the most well-known landmarks in the country."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV