Where do you keep your smart phone when your head hits the pillow at night? Is it within arm’s reach or tucked away in another room? According to a survey conducted by Pitney Bowes Inc. (NYSE: PBI) at the Direct Marketing Association’s DMA: 2012 Conference & Exhibition, 69 percent of 175 brand marketers sleep with their smart phone turned on and within arm’s reach. The survey also found that 77 percent of brand marketers use the same mobile device for personal and work email while only 22 percent keep their devices separate.
The barrier between personal and work life amongst highly-connected professionals such as brand marketers has all but dissolved. Like each helix on a strand of DNA, the personal and work lives are now blended. Each task reflects attitudes and behaviors that may fit neatly into the work or personal bucket, but occur in a sequence that rapidly alters as people move through each day. The “To Do” list is interwoven between work and play. “Pick up diapers” is listed just under “Finish the sales forecast.”
As we turn the mirror to see marketers as consumers themselves, the reflection also reveals the real marketing challenge today: How do marketers target B2B clients or consumers who are increasingly living and communicating in this hybrid manner?
“As the walls between work and play become more porous, marketers must be more precise as they use big data to reach their targets,” said Dan Kohn, Vice President, Corporate Marketing, Pitney Bowes. “Customer analytics reveal work and play activities of desired consumer segments. By examining a few – just the right few – types of data during segmentation, brands may intelligently communicate with customers during either work or play modes.”As an expert in communications between brands and consumers, Pitney Bowes offers tips to help marketing professionals reach B2B clients and consumers where they dwell - at work and at play.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV