While it's getting more difficult to find cheap and interesting names in that space these days, performance of the group, as represented by the Russell Microcap Index has been very solid year to date, with the index up 17.3%. If you want small and cheap, it's well represented by this index, and it's 1.1 price to book ratio.
Unfortunately, you can't buy the Russell Microcap Index outright, (or its sub-indices, growth and value) but you can gain exposure through an exchange traded fund, the iShares Russell Microcap Index (IWC). This ETF provides exposure to the smallest of the small, representing about 3% of the overall market cap of listed U.S. equities. With 1,467 names in the portfolio, the expense ratio at 0.69% is reasonable, if not cheap, considering the nature of typically higher trading costs associated with micro-caps.
As of Sept. 30, the average market cap of IWC's holdings was just $326 million, with the smallest name at just under $6 million, and the largest at $832 million.
You can get exposure to darn near every index through ETFs these days.At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV