NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Sports fans spew discontent in many directions -- players, coaches, owners. I have even heard a few blame the media or an apathetic fan base for their team's problems.
Investors have a habit of focusing on the CEO when things go wrong. That's often the correct move. Rarely, however, do you hear investors calling for the board of directors' collective head. It should probably happen more often.
I have questioned Bill Gates's sanity for not doing anything about the circus Steve Ballmer runs at Microsoft (MSFT). Inversely, Yahoo!'s (YHOO) board deserves chest bumps for making the bold move and naming Marissa Mayer CEO.
I touch on these situations in many previous articles, including Monday's CEOs Who Will Get Fired In 2013. If you're reading this before 10:20 a.m. Eastern time, Tuesday, you can see me discuss that story on CNBC's Squawk On The Street. After the fact, check my Twitter feed (@rocco_thestreet) for the link.In that article, I call for Best Buy (BBY) CEO Hubert Joly to lose his gig after just a few months on the job. A reporter from The Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal tweeted that I was being a bit harsh. I asked why. Before observing that I didn't include JCPenney (JCP) CEO Ron Johnson on my list ( get with program man!), he hit the nail on the head regarding Joly: "Overall, more of an indictment of original hire than his performance so far?" Right on. Don't get me wrong, his performance has been bad. He hasn't done anything. One look at and listen to Best Buy's recent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV