OPEC Considers Oil Output, Iran-Saudi Rivalry
This leaves the choice of extending Al-Badry's term or asking Kuwait, which will hold OPEC's rotating presidency next year, to appoint an acting secretary general.
OPEC's neutral image â¿¿ and its effectiveness as an oil market regulator â¿¿ stand to suffer, whatever decision is made.
"No change to the production target is likely," analysts from Commerzbank in Frankfurt wrote in a note to investors. "It will be interesting to see, however, whether members can agree on a new secretary general.
"If not, this would be a bad sign for the markets, for disagreement within OPEC means that the organization will hardly be able to decide unanimously to reduce the overproduction."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV