Pernix Therapeutics Announces Agreement To Acquire Somaxon Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Somaxon Shareholders to Receive $25 Million in Pernix Common Stock Pernix Management to Host a Conference Call Today at 9:00 a.m. EST
THE WOODLANDS, Texas, and SAN DIEGO, Dec. 11, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Pernix Therapeutics Holdings, Inc. ("Pernix") (NYSE MKT:PTX) and Somaxon Pharmaceuticals, Inc. ("Somaxon") (Nasdaq:SOMX) today announced that they have entered into a definitive merger agreement for Pernix to acquire Somaxon in a stock-for-stock transaction with a total equity value of $25 million.
Under the terms of the agreement, which has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies, Somaxon stockholders will receive aggregate consideration equal to $25 million in Pernix common stock. The number of shares of Pernix common stock to be issued to the stockholders of Somaxon will be based on the volume-weighted average price of Pernix's common stock over the 30 day period ending on the day immediately prior to the closing of the proposed merger, subject to limitations on the maximum and minimum number of shares of Pernix common stock issuable in the transaction based on a price range of $6.00 to $9.00 per share.Cooper Collins, President and CEO of Pernix, said, "The acquisition of Somaxon is another important step in the growth strategy of Pernix, which is expected to continue to expand our product portfolio, in addition to our recently announced agreements to acquire Cypress Pharmaceuticals and Hawthorn Pharmaceuticals. Somaxon's product Silenor, which is a non-seasonal product, broadens our branded product line and may also have potential as an OTC product in the future."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV