Orchard Supply Hardware Stores Corporation (Nasdaq:OSH), which operates neighborhood hardware and garden stores focused on paint, repair and the backyard, today announced financial results for the third quarter of fiscal 2012 ended October 27, 2012.
Third Quarter Fiscal 2012 Financial Results
- Third quarter net sales were $155.2 million compared to $158.7 million in the prior year period. Comparable store sales (1) for the quarter were essentially flat, decreasing 0.1%.
- Net loss in the third quarter of fiscal 2012 was $53.6 million compared to net loss of $10.1 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011. Net loss in the 2012 quarterly period includes $65.1 million of non-cash charges comprised of $60.3 million for impairment of trade names and $4.8 million for impairment of store assets, as well as $1.1 million of charges related to litigation and financial advisory fees related to the Company’s financing efforts.
- Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter was $1.7 million compared to $9.3 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011. Gross margin in the third quarter was impacted largely by increased promotional activity versus a year ago to help drive sales and clear inventory. Adjusted EBITDA for the quarterly period also includes approximately $0.9 million of incremental costs associated with the effect of having transitioned to a publicly traded company independent from Sears Holdings Corporation and approximately $0.7 million of rent associated with sale-leaseback properties owned by the Company in the prior year period and for which the Company did not pay rent (see “Non-GAAP Financial Measures” below for a discussion of this non-GAAP measure and reconciliation to its most directly comparable GAAP financial measure and further information on its uses and limitations).
- As of October 27, 2012, total long-term debt was $173.7 million, all of which was classified as current. Total long-term debt plus capital leases was $228.4 million compared to $320.0 million at October 29, 2011. During the period, Orchard successfully refinanced its Senior Secured Credit Facility, providing the Company with increased borrowing capacity at a lower cost. At the close of the third quarter, the Company had approximately $66.5 million of available cash and credit.
Mark Baker, President and Chief Executive Officer, stated, “At the beginning of fiscal 2012, we outlined five strategic priorities, which included our plans to transform Orchard’s store portfolio to our productive new neighborhood format. Thus far in 2012, we opened two new stores and remodeled four existing locations, three of which were completed during the third quarter, and we’re seeing increased customer traffic and engagement at those locations. While comparable store sales were flat in the third quarter, the combination of stronger sales of seasonal merchandise and contributions from the newly remodeled stores drove an improvement in comp store trends throughout the period. However, our margins were pressured as we increased our promotional activity to help drive traffic and sales.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV