Key Lawmakers In Va. Uranium Debate To Meet
CHATHAM, Va. (AP) â¿¿ Virginia lawmakers who will play a critical role in whether Virginia ends a 30-year ban on uranium mining are meeting Tuesday within miles of a deposit of the radioactive ore that has fueled the intense debate.
The Coal and Energy Commission is traveling to Chatham to receive the Uranium Working Group's report. On Nov. 30, the multi-agency group submitted to Gov. Bob McDonnell its assessment on a range of issues â¿¿ regulatory to environmental â¿¿ that Virginia will need to address if the state allows uranium mining. The report did not include a recommendation on whether the ban should be lifted.
In a release on the Chatham meeting, the commission said it will not take any action on the report Tuesday and a future meeting will be held in Richmond prior to the start of the 2013 General Assembly, presumably to issue a recommendation on uranium mining.
Sen. John Watkins, R-Powhatan and a member of the commission, has already requested development of legislation to end the 1982 moratorium and a regulatory framework to oversee uranium mining.Virginia Uranium Inc. is lobbying for an end to the moratorium so it can mine a 119-milllion pound deposit of the ore in Pittsylvania County. It is the largest known uranium deposit in the U.S. and among the largest in the world. The proposed mining, however, has stirred opposition among those who fear mining and the milling of the ore for use as fuel in nuclear power plants pose a threat to public water supplies and local residents. Opponents argue that Virginia is susceptible to torrential rains and destructive storms that could scatter tailings, or waste from the separation of the ore from rock. Virginia Uranium says the mining and processing can be conducted safely using the most stringent industry practices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV