More Than Me Foundation of New Jersey was awarded a $1 million grant from Chase at the second annual American Giving Awards on NBC. Host Joel McHale was joined by presenters Jamie-Lynn Sigler, Jenna Fisher, Anthony Anderson, Sarah Hyland and Jenna Elfman to announce the five finalists that were chosen by Facebook users and Chase online customers.
More Than Me Foundation is committed to help young Liberian girls get off the street and into the classroom. The charity plans to use the $1 million to help build a boarding school that will educate 1,000 girls in West Africa. They expect the school to be sustainable in five years.
“The 2012 AGAs lived up to it’s billing as an emotional and inspiring evening,” said Dalila Wilson-Scott, CFO of the JPMorgan Chase Foundation. “Our Facebook fans and customers came together once again to choose five outstanding charities to receive Chase grants. I am truly humbled by the amazing work these organizations do every day to make this world a better place.”
Actress Glenn Close was presented with the AGA Leadership Award for her commitment to raising awareness of mental illness through her charity, Bring Change 2 Mind. Close, whose sister and nephew live with mental illnesses, helped start Bring Change 2 Mind to remove stigmas and misconceptions about mental illness.In addition to More Than Me Foundation’s $1 million grant, the following four finalists will share in $1 million in grants from Chase:
- $500,000: Krochet Kids International, a Costa Mesa, Calif.-based accessories brand working to eradicate poverty through sustainable economic development programs and unique, one-of-a-kind products.
- $250,000: Timmy Global Health, based in Indianapolis, Ind., which expands access to healthcare and empowers students and volunteers to tackle today’s most pressing global health challenges.
- $125,000: Team Rubicon, a charity based in Inglewood, Calif, that empowers veterans with a new mission and community through natural disaster and humanitarian crisis response.
- $125,000: Together We Rise, based in Chino, Calif., whose mission is to transform the way youth navigate through the foster care system in America.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts