NanoMarkets' Latest Report Forecasts The Bio-Plastics Market Through 2020
The consumption of bio-plastics by the packaging industry will amount to 1.3 billion tons in 2013; almost 75 percent of bio-plastics shipped. Packaging will still hold a 65 share of the bio-plastics market as late as 2020. For plastic bottles, bio-PET is expected to replace fossil-based plastics entirely and PLA foamed structures are expected to take a noticeable share of the food container segment.
The other big bio-plastics opportunity lies in the automotive segment, which is expected to consume just 75 million tons of bio-plastics in 2013 but more than 10 times that amount in 2018. Bridgestone and Cooper Tire are developing bio-plastic tires and bio-based butadiene tires will be retailing by 2014. Mitsubishi is doing R&D work on bio-plastics for automotive interior parts. Bio-plastics that are expected to be used in the automotive segment include PLA blends, bio-PA, bio-PE, and bio-PET.
Bio-plastics product is shifting to Asia and South America, closer to where feedstocks are grown. By 2020 nearly 80% of bio-plastics will be produced in these regions. Chinese companies are already making bio-plastics and firms such as Arkema and BASF are investing in the Chinese bio-plastic sector. Chinese domestic consumption for bio-plastics will also grow rapidly, but will be constrained by Chinese government concerns with using food crops for feedstocks.
About NanoMarkets:NanoMarkets tracks and analyzes emerging markets in advanced materials. The firm is the recognized leader in industry analysis and forecasts for a variety of functional plastics-related markets. Visit http://www.nanomarkets.net for a full listing of NanoMarkets' reports and other services. SOURCE NanoMarkets
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV