The recent recovery in First Solar shares is due to its success in selling utility-scaled systems to companies such as Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK.A) Mid-American Energy. The same can be said for SunPower (SPWRA), now 66% owned by Total (TOT) of France. They both make and market solar systems, and their shares are up 20% since Nov. 21.
The tipping point, the point at which these systems become more like PCs, comes when they can deliver power for less than the price of the electric grid. When solar is the cheap power it sells itself.
Hawaii, which has already passed grid parity, finds that utilities are now unwilling to connect systems to their grids, although a commercial installation there can now pay for itself in less than a year, writes
As parity becomes more common on the much larger U.S. grid, this resistance will only grow. But opportunities will also grow in storing the excess power for use by generators, electric cars, or hydrogen.Once parity happens -- and General Electric (GE) told
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV