The creation of such a broad coalition "is a great example of how (Moak) has bridged that gap," said Michael Robbins, ALPA director of government affairs. "They have all signed the same letter."
ALPA opposed the long-standing practice by which the U.S. Export/Import Bank enables foreign airlines to secure lower cost aircraft financing than U.S. airlines. Boeing (BA), the primary beneficiary, is so powerful in Washington that only ALPA and Delta were willing to speak out. Still, the 2012 Ex/Im Bank reauthorization bill requires, for the first time, public disclosure of financing for foreign airlines' aircraft purchases, giving parties a chance to object. The bill also requires the U.S. Treasury to negotiate with European export credit agencies to end similar discounts by Airbus, so that Boeing would not be disadvantaged if the practice were to end.
Soon after the Ex/Im Bank battle ended, and this demonstrates the ways of Washington, ALPA worked closely with Boeing and others to oppose a requirement for U.S. airlines to contribute to a European carbon-trading effort that would have increased trans-Atlantic airfares by $3.1 billion over the next decade. The money would have gone to the European Union general fund, not necessarily to fighting climate change. Last month, President Obama signed a law prohibiting implementation of the requirement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV