So-called fiscal cliff negotiations resumed over the weekend between President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) without any details of what they discussed, but a spokesman for Boehner said "the lines of communication remain open."
Gold prices occasionally have reacted to news that has emerged from negotiations about the fiscal cliff -- when tax relief measures and deep spending cuts will automatically go into effect.
A lack of more specifics from the weekend meeting between the president and the Republican speaker appears to have failed to move investors in a decided direction.
For Monday, most eyes are on the possibility of more monetary stimulus from the Fed.Gold mining stocks were mostly higher Monday. Shares of Goldcorp (GG) were gaining 0.71%, while shares of Royal Gold (RGLD) were increasing 1.8%. Among volume leaders, Barrick Gold (ABX) was climbing 2%, and Newmont Mining (NEM) was up 2.1%. Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was increasing 0.44%, while iShares Gold Trust (IAU) was up 0.46%. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV