NEW YORK (TheStreet) - As the holiday shopping season heats up, some retailers believe it's necessary to lower a price or two to keep sales churning.
For instance, Barnes & Noble (BKS). Over the weekend the retail giant announced that it would be lowering the price of its Nook Simple Touch book reader by $20. The holiday season price is now $79 whether you buy one online, at a B&N store or from a retail partner like Walmart (WMT), Target (TGT) or Best Buy (BBY).
In B&N's own words: the Nook Simple Touch is "the highly acclaimed, easy-to-use E Ink Reader, combining an ergonomic design with a paper-like, glare-free readability, even in bright sunlight. The lightweight device features an ergonomic form with a soft-touch back that's comfortable to hold for hours."
We've never tested one so we'll have to take their word for it.Not to be outdone by the competition, Amazon (AMZN) has announced a bargain of its own. Starting and ending today, Amazon is lowering the price of its 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD tablet by $50. Amazon tablets run on Google's (GOOG) Android operating system. Prices usually range from $299 for the 16 GB Wi-fi model to $599 for a 64 GB Wi-fi/4G-LTE device. The offer is extended to all models with 8.9-inch touchscreens. The trick is that you need to enter the special discount code "FIREHD89" when you place your order. Remember, the discount is Amazon's "Deal of the Day" "Deal 0of the Day"which means it's good for today only. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV