LIVONIA, Mich., Dec. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- TRW Automotive Holdings Corp. (NYSE: TRW) recently unveiled its latest inflator technology at the Airbag 2012 exhibition in Europe. The new DI10.1G45 inflator, which is a further improvement of the DI10 family, is TRW's lightest and smallest inflator to date. It has been specially developed for 'micro' airbag modules and is due to start production early 2014 at its facility in Aschau, Germany, in support of a major European business award.
Dr. Achim Hofmann, senior manager core engineering, Inflators, said: "As the industry continues to place increasing focus on the environment, the importance of reducing vehicle weight is paramount. The DI10.1G45 product offers a weight reduction of approximately 25 percent over previous generation technology, as well as overall smaller dimensions.
"With its smaller size, the inflator is suitable for driver airbags which need to be packaged into smaller and more compact driver airbag modules within the steering wheel."TRW's DI10.1G45 airbag inflator is a non azide, single pyro inflator which utilizes an efficient propellant formulation. The inflator output can be adapted according to restraint system requirements using individual performance steps and an adjustable gas mass onset. Although it uses standard grade materials for the housing and weld joint technology, package size has been further reduced. Hofmann added: "As a leader in the airbag field, TRW has been able to help satisfy stringent customer and industry regulatory requirements while halving the weight of its airbag modules in recent years – now among the lightest on the market – in addition to minimizing product size and packaging. The integration of the inflator into the cushion, combined with new inflation technologies; bag & housing concepts; and materials, have enabled us to achieve this significant weight reduction over the previous few years."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV