The WisdomTree fund uses a careful weighting system to insure diversification. The portfolio always includes assets in nine sectors, and no one sector can account for more than 25% of assets. No one stock can account for more than 10% of assets.
In each sector, stocks are weighted according to the total dividends that they pay. So companies with rich dividend streams dominate the fund. That could help to stabilize results because dividend payers tend to have reliable cash flows and solid balance sheets.
Holdings include China Mobile (CHL), a dominant cellular provider, and oil giant PetroChina
WisdomTree research director Jeremy Schwartz argues that the outlook for the portfolio companies remains bright. "Growth in China could slow, but the prospects are still strong for many of the leading companies," he says.
Morningstar analyst Patricia Oey recommends SPDR S&P China (GXC), which has 29% of assets in financials. Holding $952 million in assets, the SPDR ETF owns stocks listed in Hong Kong and New York. The New York listings include such fast-growing technology stocks as Internet search giant Baidu (BIDU) and NetEase (NTES), which provides Internet portals and online games. In contrast, the iShares China fund focuses on stocks listed in Hong Kong and emphasizes big state-owned banks. Oey also likes iShares MSCI Hong Kong (EWH), which has 26% of assets in financials. The ETF has $2.9 billion in assets. Instead of focusing on state-owned banks, the index concentrates on private banks that have more freedom to avoid bad loans. The financial holdings also include Hong Kong property developers that have been benefiting from growing demand for real estate. Follow @StanLuxenberg This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV