AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Dec. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Milestone engine destined for display
- Ram-Cummins partnership spans four decades
- Capability of current High-Output Cummins engine more than double that of original offering
Cummins Inc. has produced its 2-millionth diesel engine for Ram Trucks, highlighting the latest milestone in a storied partnership that spans four decades.
The 350-horsepower, 6.7-liter, in-line 6-cylinder turbo diesel is distinguished by its "Cummins Red" rocker cover and breather. But despite its 800 lb.-ft. peak torque rating, the historic engine – feted today at a Cummins plant in Columbus, Ind. – will not see service. Instead, it will go on display, touring the U.S.
"The Ram Truck-Cummins diesel partnership is one of the industry's most enduring and certainly fitting of such a tribute," says Fred Diaz, President and CEO – Ram Truck Brand and Chrysler de Mexico. "Both companies have benefited greatly, but Ram diesel customers are the real beneficiaries. Every day they experience the toughness and capability a Cummins-powered Ram can deliver."Cummins began supplying engines to Chrysler Group in 1988. Today in North America, only Ram-brand pickups and chassis cabs feature the coveted Cummins "C" logo. "I am immensely proud of our association with Cummins," says Bob Lee, Chrysler Group Vice President and Head of Engine and Electrified Propulsion Engineering. "And I have no qualms matching our truck diesels against those of any competitor for performance and durability." For 2013, Cummins-powered Rams boast capabilities and features that include:
- Best-in-class torque and a 10 percent fuel-economy improvement
- Exclusive dual-inlet "Ram Active Air" that adjusts induction according to driving conditions for optimal performance
- "Smart" exhaust brake for smoother driving characteristics
- Best-in-class 15,000-mile oil-change interval
- A new cooling system for improved performance and durability
- B20 fuel capability
- Next-generation Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) and diesel exhaust fluid system with range of up to 4,000 miles between refills
- Dual fuel filtration system for enhanced reliability and durability in virtually every climate and environment
- Unsurpassed powertrain warranty – 5 years/100,000 miles