ROCKVILLE, Md., Dec. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Neuralstem, Inc. (NYSE MKT: CUR) announced that Jonathon Glass, MD, Director of the Emory ALS Center, presented new data from the Phase I trial of Neuralstem's human spinal cord stem cells, NSI-566, in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease) at the International Symposium on ALS/MND in Chicago, sponsored by the Motor Neurone Disease Association. In a Thursday presentation, "RESULTS OF PHASE 1 TRIAL OF SPINAL CORD TRANSPLANTATION OF NEURAL PROGENITOR CELLS IN ALS (THE NEURALSTEM, INC. TRIAL)," Dr. Glass revealed that researchers were able to establish the long-term survival of Neuralstem's transplanted spinal cord stem cells in autopsied patients, through a technology called DNA fingerprinting. Dr. Glass, who is the principal site investigator of the trial at Emory, also announced that the study team has received a grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to cover a majority of the cost of an upcoming Phase II trial.
"We are quite pleased by our ability to perform all of the surgeries planned for the Phase I trial without evidence of significant surgical or medical complications, including those patients who received both lumbar and cervical transplantations," said Dr. Glass. "We can also report that we found evidence of cell survival in all of the patients who came to autopsy, including our first patient who died 30 months after transplantation.
This is very positive news, supporting our plan to accelerate this study by increasing the dose of stem cells delivered to the cervical spinal cord in the hopes of delaying respiratory failure and prolonging life. The next phase of the study has been partially funded by a generous grant from the National Institutes of Health, and we will begin once the FDA approves our new protocol," Dr. Glass concluded.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV